How many days do you hunt a year and what do you hunt mostly big gane wise ?

About 20 days per year for Northeast whitetail , black bear, 14 days for west Texas mule deer, another 14 days for hog , whitetail, Aoudad sheep, elk and mountain lions. Then the month of March back in west Texas for hog , Aoudad sheep, elk, mountain lions and coyote. So give or take about 80 days plus spring, summer and fall for woodchuck etc. back home here.

90 plus day season on deer, I hunt most every day that the weather and other command engagements allow. So sixty plus days. Mostly deer, allow hand picked people to turkey hunt, I've never gotten the bug. Duck hunted for years, different story. Probably could have bought a thousand acres of Prime hunting property for all the money I spent hunting ducks. PS, I'm lucky enough that I can walk out my back door and be in a stand in ten minutes. I can see the roof of my house. Nice of the army to close that military base that borders my property.

Last edited:
I miss my days or hunting Alaska then deer here every year. I USE to hunt at least 80 days a year back then now o am down to about 50 to 60 days a year mostly for deer bears and hogs .I mostly jusy hunt treestands here .I miss riding all day on 4 wheelers in Alaska but moose season was only two weeks long .I hunted caribou but it was super iffy because of migrations .Hopefully I can keep hunting for at least 15 more years .I know my climbing treestand days are numbered.
You can do as I do, ladder stands scattered around, one for northwest wind, another fifty yards away for the opposite.

Thanks! A few issues pretty much stopped our hunting. We actually got about a week of "half hearted" hunting in last year…..at least it was a start. memtb
Life too often gets in the way of happiness and the first thing to go...is OUR TIME! Good luck Brother....maybe this will be Your Year....I'm hopeful maybe it will be mine too!

Last year, over 50 days. But I was sick with Covid on one trip, so those days were only road hunting, and napping. Really plan on getting after it this year! No kids, not quite married, retired from the Marine Corps, and work almost exclusively online/freelance..

Mostly black bear and mule deer/blacktails. I do plan on doing more small game and upland soon to.

Life too often gets in the way of happiness and the first thing to go...is OUR TIME! Good luck Brother....maybe this will be Your Year....I'm hopeful maybe it will be mine too!

Thanks a bunch skip, we're darn sure gonna try. If nothing else…..it'll be be a nice camping trip! 😉 Of course late season (if we draw) elk hunts in Wyoming can be a bit brisk at times! memtb

Usually archery hunt elk for 25-30 days. If lucky enough to draw a rifle deer tag, another approx 10 days. Then I Usually rifle elk hunt Idaho for approximately 14 days. Last couple years this hasn't happened, things have really gotten crazy trying to get a tag for Idaho. Then spend around 30-45 days camped out scouting, checking game cameras, looking for new hunts, etc. Need to get back into chuckar, pheasant and quail hunting. We really enjoy being out in the mountains.

As a younger man, I would hunt well over 100 days per year. If the various large and medium game seasons were closed, I would hunt turkeys, hogs, small game, fowl, coyotes, crows, P-dogs, etc, etc. Heck, even snakes and snapping turtle infested ponds were not immune from 22's. If I counted all the afternoons after work, I guess the number of "days" would climb above 200 or more. It seems I always had a rifle or shotgun in my hands or a pistol on my side.

I loved those days living miles in the country and having my own shooting range a few feet from my shop. Coming in from work, grabbing a firearm or bow and taking long walks around the fields, woodlots, big timber, creeks, ponds, etc was very relaxing and often, helped place food on the family table. Back then and now, in that state, deer season for bow opened 1 October and in either bow, rifle or muzzle loader, ran until 31 January. Very generous limits in deer and small game could keep one hunting a long time.

Now as an old man and in another state, I feel lucky to hunt a few weeks out of the year, and even that depends on how my health is and what my daily pain levels are.

Last edited:
Last year, over 50 days. But I was sick with Covid on one trip, so those days were only road hunting, and napping. Really plan on getting after it this year! No kids, not quite married, retired from the Marine Corps, and work almost exclusively online/freelance..

Mostly black bear and mule deer/blacktails. I do plan on doing more small game and upland soon to.
Killing any hogs there ? 😉

Recent Posts