How to know it is Spring in Cody, Wyoming

I find that when it is in the sub-zeros it takes longer, but I don't have a big fancy grill. Propane is sluggish below zero.

Build a fire under the tank…..she'll build pressure! 😜

All jokes aside, many years ago long before I moved to Wyoming, Jackson had an unbelievable cold spell….I was told it hit the negative 50's or 60's. I worked with a guy that made quite a bit of money, using metal trash can lids with burning charcoal, placed beneath the oil pans of diesel trucks, then wrapping the truck cab with plastic sheeting to contain the heat. It would take a while, but he would get them warm enough to warm the oil and engine enough to get them started.

Ya had to be tough to endure those conditions! memtb

Build a fire under the tank…..she'll build pressure! 😜

All jokes aside, many years ago long before I moved to Wyoming, Jackson had an unbelievable cold spell….I was told it hit the negative 50's or 60's. I worked with a guy that made quite a bit of money, using metal trash can lids with burning charcoal, placed beneath the oil pans of diesel trucks, then wrapping the truck cab with plastic sheeting to contain the heat. It would take a while, but he would get them warm enough to warm the oil and engine enough to get them started.

Ya had to be tough to endure those conditions! memtb
Back in the late 1970s at the uranium mines out on Blizzard Heights we ran all the heavy mine equipment day and night to keep the paraffin from clogging up the diesel engines. Around here anyone parking outside of a garage better have a block heater, especially diesel, or they may not get their vehicle started midwinter.

Ain't that funny?
Everything we do here has a wind component….😂
Even when you plant a tree you have to consider the lean caused by the wind and the trajectory toward buildings should the wind take it down in 20 years. Not to mention tying down lightweight items of less than 50 pounds. Then there is wall tents. List is endless.🌪️

I have read everything up to this posting, can relate to all of the preceding posts (well, excepting perhaps for 69Precision's rantings) and agree with most of them, with one exception. I have experienced a good deal in all 49 of the Continental United States and have found that the western states south of the Rocky Mountain's Colorado fourteeners, the eastern states south of upper New England and the central states south of Chicago really can't identify a single thing that tells them that spring truly has sprung.

But the eight years that I lived in Minneapolis (late 40's to mid 50's) left an undying recollection of the first days I stepped out of our front door and KNEW it was spring. Irrespective of any meteorological conditions throughout the winter months and into the spring it mattered not what the temperatures, wind conditions, precipitation or length of the daylight hours were ..... the olfactory, epiphanic realization that it was spring that day stepping out on the front porch was simply the first time in too many months that you actually smelled DIRT!

Back in the late 1970s at the uranium mines out on Blizzard Heights we ran all the heavy mine equipment day and night to keep the paraffin from clogging up the diesel engines. Around here anyone parking outside of a garage better have a block heater, especially diesel, or they may not get their vehicle started midwinter.

Where is this "Blizzard Heights" that you speak off?

When I moved to Wyoming in '85, an Exxon transfer, I worked with some guys that worked at the uranium mines somewhere near Douglas. memtb

That would be great but bad for the bears they would probably want to dress them in designer clothes and wear a "warming sign" around their neck that reads: Studies show that I could be Hazardous to Your health"
The kicker to that offer is that WY gets to pick which bears to send.
Likely like the "problem" (livestock conflict) wolves OR sent to CO recently.

Where is this "Blizzard Heights" that you speak off?

When I moved to Wyoming in '85, an Exxon transfer, I worked with some guys that worked at the uranium mines somewhere near Douglas. memtb
I recall some uranium mines west of Wright, WY in Campbell County, near Pumpkin Buttes, north of Douglas.
Could that be the ones?

I recall some uranium mines west of Wright, WY in Campbell County, near Pumpkin Buttes, north of Douglas.
Could that be the ones?

Maybe…..I've slept since then! It was owned by Exxon….. I really thought it was near Douglass. I haven't talked with any of those guys since '96……so no one to call! ☹️ memtb

This guy may square 8 foot, I don't know.
But he's built like an African Gorilla.
Trail cam in Sunlight Basin, North of Cody.
20230510_160624.jpeg

20230510_160717.jpeg