Team Hammer in Africa 2024

Here is the traditional photo that we have now done the last three trips on the morning that we leave. It has all of the skulls minus a couple from the night before that weren't skinned and salted yet. Kind of a fun way to commemorate the hunt.
20240514_082418.jpg

What rifle, caliber and bullet did you use Mr. Steve? Beautiful critter. Congrats.
Floyd
We built a 500 Jeffery for this trip. Built on a Sako 995 action. Running the 450gr Shock Hammer at 2700 fps. This rifle has seen it's last hunt. It will be getting turned into something that will work better in the action. Thinking 33XC right now. I will be starting over with the 500 Jeff. In the process of figuring out what action to use that is more suitable for the 500 Jeff. Doesn't look like a Sako 85XL is obtainable. Thinking now a Wby designed for the 460Wby or Kelbly says their action will work good with the 500 Jeff. Looking at elephant next year and the rifle has to work flawlessly.

We built a 500 Jeffery for this trip. Built on a Sako 995 action. Running the 450gr Shock Hammer at 2700 fps. This rifle has seen it's last hunt. It will be getting turned into something that will work better in the action. Thinking 33XC right now. I will be starting over with the 500 Jeff. In the process of figuring out what action to use that is more suitable for the 500 Jeff. Doesn't look like a Sako 85XL is obtainable. Thinking now a Wby designed for the 460Wby or Kelbly says their action will work good with the 500 Jeff. Looking at elephant next year and the rifle has to work flawlessly.
Brno ZKK 602? Worked great for my Rigby.

Unless I am wrong these are no longer made. If someone has an action I would be interested in it.

One of our PH's in Africa purchased one in 500 Jeff. He is just waiting for the permits to go through.
I have an old H&K Mannlicher 18" 7 Mag with a Mauser bolt , right Hand . I don't know if it will work or if it is just a copy cat Mauser extractor . Bought it many years ago when I was a youngster and no one made Lefty bolts. It resides behind 30 other weapons in the back of my gun vault . I will dig it out and get the model# for you, if the action, bolt will work for you I would bet you can pick one up on Gun Broker or one of the other gun sell sites . I have sentimental attachments to it as it is a very accurate and has dropped many critters over the years.
F.K.