Pre fit or custom chambering

It is best to ask them directly.

Most likely what I'm going to end up doing. I think I'm putting too much thought into this. Expert voice sells blanks for I think 650 and prefit for a little over 7 I believe. I also think I'm wasting too much time on deciding twist rate as well. I had a Christensen arms rifle that didn't shoot very great except for 1 load and it scarred me I think lol

Well, don't let your experience with CA scare you too much. They've had less than stellar reviews lately.

As for Proof, I'm not sure I've seen a bad review. Maybe one or two, but for the most part they get positive feedback and they seem to sell quickly in the used market.

Most likely what I'm going to end up doing. I think I'm putting too much thought into this. Expert voice sells blanks for I think 650 and prefit for a little over 7 I believe. I also think I'm wasting too much time on deciding twist rate as well. I had a Christensen arms rifle that didn't shoot very great except for 1 load and it scarred me I think lol
Only you can make the decision. I have had very good luck with pre-fits too. As far as the barrel twist, it plays a critical role to properly stabilize the bullets you are going to use.

What chambering are you building?

Last edited:
I'm
I think I remember hearing Frank Green (Bartlein Barrels) say on a podcast that when ammo makers, bullet makers, action makers, powder makers, etc. started giving accuracy guarantees - he would start.
X-Caliber does already.

IMG_1500.jpeg

and so as C6

IMG_1501.jpeg

Last edited:
For me, a GOOD gunsmith installation is the only way to go.
I have heard of only a few pre-fit issues, but it would be pretty hard to hold someone accountable that did not do the complete installation if it doesn't shoot well.

You are looking at it backwards. Don't start with the barrel

Start with what you goal is... you say backcountry.

so let's say mule deer or elk out to 500 yards

Which means a 7mm or 308 bullet for most guys.

You don't reload, so what factory offerings are out there? Do you want to use custom ammo from say unknownmunitions.com or copper creek?

What prefits and what ammo have been proven performers?

Without reloading you will not reach the rifles best accuracy potential.

There's been a thread in the past year about specifically proof prefits in 7 saum in defiance anti actions. Gives lots of load data that I'm sure someone like unknownmunitions.com could duplicate with little difficulty.

X-Caliber does already.
Absolutely! I just put one of their barrels on my 6.5 Grendel (AR-15) and they guarantee 1 moa accuracy as long as you also let them headspace one of their bolts (or yours) to the barrel you order. I did NEITHER ONE and still got the following results at 100 yards with a well developed load…
IMG_4414.jpeg
Hard to ask any more accuracy than that for an AR-15!!! 👍

From what I've seen lately, a prefit is good for 95% of people.
Where a gunsmith comes in handy is when you want a twist, profile, length or chamber that isn't readily available in a prefit.
The MAJORITY of my rifles have prefits...but ALL of them are sub 1/2 MOA. Period.

My 6 Dasher is a Proof Prefit.
shared_image~2.png

But for my 6.5 PRC for hunting...I wanted an 18" carbon fiber with a fast twist...so I had my smith chamber a blank for me.
shared_image_661025719381899 copy.jpg

Recent Posts