Weatherby Mark V 30-06 ammo selection

ATTACK GOOSE

I have a Weatherby Mark V Hunter chameberd in 30-06 and i am having a hard time getting good grouping. Dose any one have any ammo sugestions? i am hoping to use a monolthoc bullet.

Thanks for the input!!!

I too have had those issues. I bought every premium factory round and tried them over the past couple years. I have found the Nosler cartridge with partition in 180 grain to fly the most consistently. The Remington Scirocco in 180 does well too.

I have a Weatherby Mark V Hunter chameberd in 30-06 and i am having a hard time getting good grouping. Dose any one have any ammo sugestions? i am hoping to use a monolthoc bullet.

Thanks for the input!!!
I too have had those issues. I bought every premium factory round and tried them over the past couple years. I have found the Nosler cartridge with partition in 180 grain to fly the most consistently. The Remington Scirocco in 180 does well too.
Start loading, have a friend load for you, or have custom loads for your set-up. Factory ammunition is a hit or miss. Winchester Season XP and their copper version is very forgiving in 6.5 CM and .308 Win. Good luck!

Last edited:

Thanks for the input!!!
I hunt thick timber for elk. I wanted a 180 grain for obvious reasons. I tried tsx and ttsx without a good group.I should also add that I did send my Weatherby Northmark into a warranty depot for them to see if I had a faulty barrel. They did determine that the barrel was good but that screws needed to be retorqued to spec.That helped big. I was also told to lighten my bullet to 165. I tried that without seeing a difference.
Federal Terminal Ascent gets honourable mention too. Above all....every gun is different and you may have to experiment between cup n core and boat tails.

Thanks for the input!!!
That rifle is capable of sun moa groups but there is work involved in finding your group. Many factory loads available in'06 and could cost several hundred $$ buying different brands, weights, bullets, etc. Do you know anyone who loads? If not there are companies that offer load development for your rifle. You have to figure out what your priorities are and budget and go from there. There is a good chance that there are people within reason in terms of distance from you that would develop loads or guide you in the right direction. Great advice and guidance on this forum.