Sig P320 XTEN bear loads

Wife and I have 2 xTens and 10 magazines, have experienced exactly what you describe with wide meplat bullets, to include Sig's own 180gr JHP load. It and the Buffalo Bore 220 gr Outdoorsman load gave us the most trouble.

They are not just hanging up at the mag catch holes, they are rubbing along the whole length of the portion of the mag where it goes to full double-stack, the mag catch holes are just where you can peek in and see what's happening. Same experience as you, it will feed 5 or 6 of anything but the more you load in the mag the worse they drag and hang up if the bullets have wide meplats, like most serious loads one would want to use for defense against 2 or 4 legged critters.

As stated above, this problem is well documented by users, but Sig will not admit to a problem. We have the same trouble across 2 guns and 10 magazines, so I'd call it conclusive.

I knew about it before I bought them, bought them anyway because they fit so much better that the Block. I intended to handload for it and figured I could just load them a bit short and get away with it. So far I have had good success loading wide meplat bullets to about 1.240" . A bit short but they seem to run just fine.

So I load special ammo for the xTens and keep it segregated and clearly labeled. No point in burning up the special stuff in my 1911 10mm, as it will eat anything 🤷🏼‍♂️

The Underwood 220 gr load seems to work fine despite using what appears to be the same bullet Buffalo Bore uses, loaded to about the same length. I believe the difference is the red coating on the bullets in the Underwood load is reducing friction enough to mitigate the problem to some extent. They are still rubbing though, if you load a mag and thumb them out you can see where the coating is rubbing off on the corners of the meplats.

Also there are 200 gr bullets that don't have quite as wide meplats that work just fine loaded to SAAMI length.

Hope this helps.

Wife and I have 2 xTens and 10 magazines, have experienced exactly what you describe with wide meplat bullets, to include Sig's own 180gr JHP load. It and the Buffalo Bore 220 gr Outdoorsman load gave us the most trouble.

They are not just hanging up at the mag catch holes, they are rubbing along the whole length of the portion of the mag where it goes to full double-stack, the mag catch holes are just where you can peek in and see what's happening. Same experience as you, it will feed 5 or 6 of anything but the more you load in the mag the worse they drag and hang up if the bullets have wide meplats, like most serious loads one would want to use for defense against 2 or 4 legged critters.

As stated above, this problem is well documented by users, but Sig will not admit to a problem. We have the same trouble across 2 guns and 10 magazines, so I'd call it conclusive.

I knew about it before I bought them, bought them anyway because they fit so much better that the Block. I intended to handload for it and figured I could just load them a bit short and get away with it. So far I have had good success loading wide meplat bullets to about 1.240" . A bit short but they seem to run just fine.

So I load special ammo for the xTens and keep it segregated and clearly labeled. No point in burning up the special stuff in my 1911 10mm, as it will eat anything 🤷🏼‍♂️

The Underwood 220 gr load seems to work fine despite using what appears to be the same bullet Buffalo Bore uses, loaded to about the same length. I believe the difference is the red coating on the bullets in the Underwood load is reducing friction enough to mitigate the problem to some extent. They are still rubbing though, if you load a mag and thumb them out you can see where the coating is rubbing off on the corners of the meplats.

Also there are 200 gr bullets that don't have quite as wide meplats that work just fine loaded to SAAMI length.

Hope this helps.

Helps a bunch, good info.
Thank you

I'm also finding that loading magazines by hand instead of speed loader and making sure each round is definitely pushed as far back helps.

Recent Posts