I have been looking at some new scopes.
Leica amplus 6 3x18x44mm
Nightforce SHV 5x20x56mm
Trijicon tenmile 4x24x50mm
Zeiss v4 4x16x44mm
Leupold Vx5 3-15x44.
Huskemaw 4x16x42mm
Putting it on my new 280AI.
Going to use it for hunting. And shooting steel out to to 600 yds. Looking for a exposed elevation turret. And a capped windage turret. Could I get a custom turret for each scope? That is custom to my gun and bullet? I have a 20 MOA 1 piece base on my gun.
Out of the ones you listed.
Trijicon tenmile.

I have been using the Leupold 171715 on a few guns for years now with no problems. Given all the stories I am quite suspect of them though. I once had a (non Leupold) scope ruin a hunt. No matter what the warranty is, you can't get your hunt back.

The 171715 is the VX5HD 3-15 with wind-plex. It suits the way we hunt. Dial for elevation, hold for wind. Relatively lightweight and wonderful glass for the price point. We won't be shooting an animal past about 800 in perfect conditions.

Have one on a Tikka T3 in 7 RM. It is our most used hunting gun. Been dropped/fell over twice on hunts, has resulting ding and scratches. In both cases an elk was taken shortly after. First was 330 yds no dialing required, and second was 660 yds dialing required. Both shot right where they should have. In the second case we had time to check zero after the gun was dropped - it was fine.

I still wonder about them though. The Tikka 7RM has a lot of hunting miles and a lot of range time practicing. I wonder if Leup just puts out a stinker from time to time or the design is just marginal. The stories that guys have are numerous and real.

If I were you, given what Formilidosus has done testing over at Rokslide, I'd go with a Trijicon or NF. Trijicon is what is going on my incoming Seekins PH2.

Last edited:
I called NF, the SHV and NXS share the same glass, and the NX8 and ATACR share the same glass. At least that is what their customer service said a couple years ago.
You are correct with night force. I used to be a dealer for them where I worked. The difference they told me was the SHV does not have to have every scope certified because the military does not buy those scope. That's why thier cheaper also. NXS they sell to the military so everyone has to be certified. So they have to test every scope instead of maybe one in every 100 or so.

I have had great service from my 2 Amplus 6 scopes. I actually love the build quality fit and finish is excellent. Glass is on par as well.

I have a VX-5 that has served well also, for the last 6 years. But I do understand folks have had some complaints more recently.

The Zeiss V4 line has what to my eyes is the clearest glass. I know that is objective but I really like the view through that glass.

My Trijicon scopes are absolutely bulletproof and the glass is good enough for all of my hunting applications and needs.

Those are the four on your list that I own and have used extensively, along with my sons. I know that's a very basic overview but all of that to say I wouldn't hesitate to put any of these scopes on a hunting rifle.

It's a lot of fun working through the options and getting a new rig up and running! Good luck!!