Muzzle brake for 300 Weatherby Mark V

Thank you for the input. I did call Weatherby on the subject before making any purchase and bought the brake directly from them. The brake was made specifically for the Mark V and my barrel type with a 1/2 by 28 thread and I did give them all the specific measurements. The diameter at the muzzle is .6125, having just rechecked it after reading your comments. The diameter of the brake at its base is .6150. I will continue on the premise that Weatherby did proper engineering research and that the break itself restores the missing metal, but I will take measurements regularly and watch for signs. Thank you for the input.

Those older weatherby's with those wooden stocks are sure a beautiful rifle. I don't think a mule can kick near as hard though. Glad to see the brake worked excellent

Ya, I have never shot a newer one without a brake. The 2 wooden ones I shot were a 300 and 340 and both were trying to help friends figure out why they weren't shooting tight groups. Definitely something I'll never forget

Ya, I have never shot a newer one without a brake. The 2 wooden ones I shot were a 300 and 340 and both were trying to help friends figure out why they weren't shooting tight groups. Definitely something I'll never forget
My first day of owning it, used, forty years ago I shot 116 rounds. Black and blue for a week.

I was all relaxed with a nice slow squeeze when i touched the 300 off. Like I was shooting a br rifle lol. Knew better when I shot the 340 a few years later but still pretty sure it left a slight concussion and some loose fillings. It always amazes me that there are humans that can shoot those accurately without a brake

I was all relaxed with a nice slow squeeze when i touched the 300 off. Like I was shooting a br rifle lol. Knew better when I shot the 340 a few years later but still pretty sure it left a slight concussion and some loose fillings. It always amazes me that there are humans that can shoot those accurately without a brake
I now have brakes in everything, 22-250 to .375H&H. I can shoot without, not recoil sensitive, but why not be comfortable

Thank you for the input. I did call Weatherby on the subject before making any purchase and bought the brake directly from them. The brake was made specifically for the Mark V and my barrel type with a 1/2 by 28 thread and I did give them all the specific measurements. The diameter at the muzzle is .6125, having just rechecked it after reading your comments. The diameter of the brake at its base is .6150. I will continue on the premise that Weatherby did proper engineering research and that the break itself restores the missing metal, but I will take measurements regularly and watch for signs. Thank you for the input.
IMHO, Weatherby did its best to compromise aesthetics and recoil reduction, not necessarily functionality. My first two radial brakes were Vais and Gentry Quiet brakes (there is nothing quiet about them), and I could not get rid of them quickly enough. I am not saying they are ineffective, but they are the least effective muzzle brakes I have ever tried. Unfortunately, I still have one with Vais; it is a used rifle that came with it.
Gentry quiet MB.jpg

An effective muzzle brake (there are plenty to choose from) reduces felt recoil and muzzle rise. Often, the latter is not realized. Good luck!

I'm currently putting myself a high power competition rifle together for hunter class in 7mm 08 so can't have a brake. It will also be a hunting rifle for a 12 year old girl. That's about my limit non brake for 1/4-1/2 moa.