Garmin xero

I'm loving my Garmin. Love how I can edit the info on my phone for later reference.
Loving the Xero too! To me, it's a gamechanger. So easy to set up and just run with for all the obvious reasons. Doesn't affect group size or POI, thereby saving ammo and time in a big way. You can just experiment away with loads, not having to shoot separate groups for accuracy/precision and velocity measurements. So 50% savings on ammo during load dev right there. When monitoring all your shots freely, you can see patterns emerge much more easily.

Edit? You mean delete shots? Add notes? Okay, that's nice...

BUT, they need to improve the software:

1) Assign a number to a series. Other chronos all do this and it helps tremendously in tracking series/strings. So currently you have a stack of series under a date, and they are just tagged with the time/date. Need to assign a simple number and increment for each series. I track everything on paper in parallel so I know what string (series) was shot at what target, etc.

2) Series Note is not carried to XLS upon exporting. Shot Note is! WTH? I want to name a Series with info: Case generation/powder charge/Ogive for example, and have that show up in the top field of the XLS spread sheet for that series. Right now my workaround is to put it in Series Note so it's easy to see on my phone, and again in shot #1 Shot Note. PITA

3) Add ability to Suspend a session and start a new session, then go back to the Suspended session and add shots. This would allow the user to shoot Round Robin, duh!!! (Magneto can't do this either but lil ol Shooting Chrony can! LOL) Round Robin shooting is a commonly discussed technique to average out environmental factors over some hours of shooting. Plus, I sometimes alternate guns at the range, letting one cool down while I shoot the other. This is really an important feature, probably the biggest hole in the software right now.

I can't understand how the Product Manager left these features out. Well, it's only 6 months old, so maybe it's on the product dev roadmap.

If we all send in an email suggesting these improvements, it should get them thinking about it. So feel free to copy and paste the above suggestions an send them to Garmin CS! Maybe call CS and talk to them about it if they're available to hear such things. I'll try tomorrow after shooting. Talk about it on YT vid! They are watching social media for sure, as all companies these days do. Let's get their attention!

Wrapping it up...If LR came out with a competitive unit that includes these features, Garmin will definitely implement them. As I said in my last post, I've been through a LOT of product shootouts over 45 years. They were on professional high tech products, and sometimes a customer's desisions came down to a few simple features. ("Does it take one button press or 2 button presses to do that?") If the one lacking didn't implement it in time, a sale would be lost to the competition who had it. That's one of the good things about competitive capitalism; it pushes innovation.

I did not know about this unit...and if I did, the MSRP would have prevented me from buying it. I'm sure Garmin has something to do with the huge discount:

This is no small comment. Can anyone actually verify this? If so - this needs some factoring for actual 'muzzle' velocity. (Or, maybe they factor this into the displayed speed?)
This has been discussed a lot in various forums on on YT vids and comments. I don't remember the distance, but it is close enough that they can calculate back to the muzzle. Primal on YT compares LR, MS, and Xero side by side using different calibers/velocities.

It is interesting to see the same and different readings on all 3. My takeaway is that it is consistently accurate enough to make any determinations that we need to. On many shots it matched the LR. On the rest there was a few fps diff. When we are up near 3K, these numbers are insignificant. but what is important is that it is consistent, so we know our ES and SDs are accurate. LR kinda dropped out of the race when the caliber decreased to sub 22 or velocity got up to around 4K.

What is the "special" if you buy over $100 at Scheels?
I added it to the cart and don't see anything.
Sorry, I just found an extra coupon they gave us...It was limited time 4/19 - 28. $50 off of a $500 purchase, and another another $50 off if you apply for a card, even if you get denied. I was lucky to succumb to my urge to go to Scheels and buy one the day I did. LoL, I spent the money saved on bullets. Maybe if you wait and just keep checking the usual suspects, something like that will pop up. But I would not count on an actual product discount, because they don't need to encourage people to buy these...the word is out.

Loving the Xero too! To me, it's a gamechanger. So easy to set up and just run with for all the obvious reasons. Doesn't affect group size or POI, thereby saving ammo and time in a big way. You can just experiment away with loads, not having to shoot separate groups for accuracy/precision and velocity measurements. So 50% savings on ammo during load dev right there. When monitoring all your shots freely, you can see patterns emerge much more easily.

Edit? You mean delete shots? Add notes? Okay, that's nice...

BUT, they need to improve the software:

1) Assign a number to a series. Other chronos all do this and it helps tremendously in tracking series/strings. So currently you have a stack of series under a date, and they are just tagged with the time/date. Need to assign a simple number and increment for each series. I track everything on paper in parallel so I know what string (series) was shot at what target, etc.

2) Series Note is not carried to XLS upon exporting. Shot Note is! WTH? I want to name a Series with info: Case generation/powder charge/Ogive for example, and have that show up in the top field of the XLS spread sheet for that series. Right now my workaround is to put it in Series Note so it's easy to see on my phone, and again in shot #1 Shot Note. PITA

3) Add ability to Suspend a session and start a new session, then go back to the Suspended session and add shots. This would allow the user to shoot Round Robin, duh!!! (Magneto can't do this either but lil ol Shooting Chrony can! LOL) Round Robin shooting is a commonly discussed technique to average out environmental factors over some hours of shooting. Plus, I sometimes alternate guns at the range, letting one cool down while I shoot the other. This is really an important feature, probably the biggest hole in the software right now.

I can't understand how the Product Manager left these features out. Well, it's only 6 months old, so maybe it's on the product dev roadmap.

If we all send in an email suggesting these improvements, it should get them thinking about it. So feel free to copy and paste the above suggestions an send them to Garmin CS! Maybe call CS and talk to them about it if they're available to hear such things. I'll try tomorrow after shooting. Talk about it on YT vid! They are watching social media for sure, as all companies these days do. Let's get their attention!

Wrapping it up...If LR came out with a competitive unit that includes these features, Garmin will definitely implement them. As I said in my last post, I've been through a LOT of product shootouts over 45 years. They were on professional high tech products, and sometimes a customer's desisions came down to a few simple features. ("Does it take one button press or 2 button presses to do that?") If the one lacking didn't implement it in time, a sale would be lost to the competition who had it. That's one of the good things about competitive capitalism; it pushes innovation.
You can still edit Rifle Cartridge to include all the info for that particular group. I edit after each group as I was alternating rifles to let them cool for cold bore shots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240513_225156_ShotView.jpg
    Screenshot_20240513_225156_ShotView.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 9
One last note- I don't remember seeing any other product with so many 5 star user and YT reviews. I didn't watch any of them before buying, just read a a print review and few postings here. Then after I bought, I started watching them and every one basically raves about it at the end. To maintain their credibility, usually YT reviewers try to throw in something critical even if it is insignificant or just a matter of personal preference.

You can still edit Rifle Cartridge to include all the info for that particular group. I edit after each group as I was alternating rifles to let them cool for cold bore shot

Ah, yes! I see if you hit Change, then Rifle Cartridge, you can add more text next to the bullet weight. If that shows up in the XLS sheet, it would suffice for what I want. I'm not where I can test this right now.

"I edit after each group as I was alternating rifles to let them cool for cold bore shot" - Are you suggesting that you can add shots to an existing "Ended" session?

Thank you Eric!

Ah, yes! I see if you hit Change, then Rifle Cartridge, you can add more text next to the bullet weight. If that shows up in the XLS sheet, it would suffice for what I want. I'm not where I can test this right now.

"I edit after each group as I was alternating rifles to let them cool for cold bore shot" - Are you suggesting that you can add shots to an existing "Ended" session?

Thank you Eric!
Once you end session there's data moves to your phone, so no, you can't add more shots to that session.